Pregnancy can be an exciting and stressful time in a mother’s life.
Here at Ania Massage & Sports Injury Clinic, we’ll help you along your journey from early pregnancy and throughout motherhood to keep you feel your best. When your bump is getting big, your joints are getting loose, your back is hurting and your baby’s body is pushing itself up into your ribs, you will need extra encouragement during this difficult time.Your joints may loosen and extra strain is placed on your back .Feeling absolutely worn out with work and growing your baby, you really need to take some ‘me time’ and allow yourself to relax.
Benefits of pregnancy massage:
- Decreases Stress hormones
- Improves sleep quality
- Reduces swelling in hands and feet
- Improves circulation
- Improves oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles
- Reduces muscle tension and headaches
- Increases flexibility
- Higher birth weight of baby
- Studies* show that women who have received regular
- prenatal massage have a g
greater chance of reduced pain perception during labour and delivery.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What position will I receive treatment in?
You will be asked to sit or lay on your side depending on your pregnancy. We will make sure you are in a position which is the most comfortable for you and safe for your baby. Pillows will be given to your to support your head and other body parts if needed.
- Is Pregnancy massage Safe?
Ania has received specialised training in prenatal massage. She will make sure the procedure is safe for you. Your safety and the safety of your baby is our highest priority. You will be given a questionnaire before your treatment to ensure you have no contraindications for massage.
If you have/ have had the following conditions in the past we may postpone your massage. We may also require medical approval from your doctor:
- High blood pressure
- Leaking amniotic fluid
- Bladder infection
- Chronic hypertension
- Twins (or more)
- Visual disturbances
- Problems with placenta
- Blood clots
- Uterine bleeding
- High risk pregnancy
- Chronic hypertension
- Pre-term labour
Please, Phone Ania at 0874100771 if you are unsure if you fall under the category of high risk. Any information you share with the therapist is strictly confidential.
- How often should I receive massage while I am pregnant?
Every woman and every pregnancy is different. In general, it is recommended that you receive massage twice a month during your second and third trimester. If you experience intense pain or discomfort during your pregnancy you may require more sessions. Some women may wish to receive treatment few days before their birth to help them relax before their big day.
- Field, T., Hernandez-Reif, M., Hart, S., Theakston, H., Schanberg, S., Kuhn, C. & Burman, I. (1999). Pregnant women benefit from massage therapy. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynecology, 20, 31-38.
- Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2012 Oct-Dec;26(4):296-306. doi: 10.1097/JPN. 0b01 3e3182 3f565b. Relaxation during pregnancy: what are the benefits for mother, fetus, and the newborn? A systematic review of the literature. Fink NS, Urech C, Cavelti M, Alder J.
- Field, T. (2010). Pregnancy and labor massage therapy. Expert Review of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5, 177-181.
We also treat non-pregnant clients, including stressed out fathers-to-be.